Another baking instalment! And this time it’s dairy and meat free. Not any more healthy unfortunately, but if you eat enough of them, you may just have eaten a whole banana. They’re based on this recipe, with a couple of tweaks thrown in for a slightly more unsophisticated pallet like my own (not a fan of dark chocolate, even though that’s far easier to find in a vegan version!). And don’t worry, the mayonnaise isn’t a mistake in either recipe.
- 240g self-raising flour
- 140g golden caster sugar (or just plain white if you can’t get a hold of golden)
- 1 tsp bicardonate of soda
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 240g egg-free mayonnaise (you’ll need to go to a biiig supermarket to buy this one)
- 2-3 bananas depending on size
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25g vegan dark or milk chocolate
- 50g vegan margarine
- 170g icing sugar
- 15 ml almond (or other dairy-free) milk
- 1½ tbsp peanut butter
*I’ve reduced the measurements for the icing because the original measurements left me with a loooad left even after being pretty generous with it.
- Preheat your oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 31⁄2. Line muffin tins with 18 cases. In a big bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt and bicarbonate of soda. Mash the bananas, and in a second bowl/jug, combine the mayonaise, mashed bananas and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a spoon, but don’t overmix as otherwise the cupcakes will be “heavy” – not quite sure what that means but probs don’t just in case. So just about combine them, then spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 20 minutes.
- Whilst they’re baking, put the vegan margarine and icing sugar in an electric mixer (or just use a spoon to mix them like I did). Then add the vegan milk and continue to mix on a slow speed (or normal speed if you’re doing it by hand) until completely combined. Next, stir in the peanut butter.
- When the cakes are out of the oven, let the chocolate melt over the top. Leave that to cool down for a while, then once it’s somewhat hard, or at least manageable, spread the peanut butter icing over the top.
- Store in an airtight container and eat within 2 days. 🙂